Palo Alto Fit selected Verkada because its system offered better capabilities and performance than competing technology, including:
- Better picture quality
- Lower bandwidth use (as low as 20 kbit/s per camera)
- Activity-based search and alerts
- Ability to scale easily, with no extra equipment required
- More-intuitive remote access on mobile
Like many owners of fast-growing businesses, Nina Nguyen of Palo Alto Fit is driven, passionate about her customers, and almost always on her smartphone.
Nina and her business partner, Mirco Horst, sought a video security solution that would provide added piece of mind as they expanded in Northern California. Having a surveillance system was also a requirement for getting a discount on their commercial liability protection insurance policy.
After comparing Verkada to a number of traditional surveillance providers, they selected Verkada because its system offers superior remote access, a slimmer bandwidth footprint, and greater ease of installation and expansion.
“Easy to install and expand — Verkada is perfect for managing our multiple locations!”
– Nina Nguyen, Palo Alto Fit Owner
Limited bandwidth — Palo Alto Fit’s existing network had to supply the POS system, music system, back office devices, and guests’ connectivity.
Fast growth — Nina and Mirco anticipated rapid growth and needed a system that scaled quickly and made it easy to manage multiple locations.
24⁄7 remote access — demonstrations from competing vendors left something to be desired in terms of mobile access (iOS and Android, specifically).
- 12 Verkada D30 indoor cameras and 4 D50 outdoor cameras installed at two locations
- No NVRs, no VPNs, no firewall equipment: Verkada enabled Palo Alto Fit to deploy a multi-site solution without the need for complex configuration and outdated equipment
- Broadcast Mode: Palo Alto Fit is sharing the live feed from its main gym space to enable customers to see peak times
- Verkada Hybrid Cloud + on-camera storage enabled average consumption of ~20 kbit/second per camera, saving valuable bandwidth for existing business functions
- Secure, 24⁄7 mobile access enabled via Command, Verkada’s mobile-friendly web application
At Palo Alto Fit’s newest location, Verkada cameras were installed during the tenant improvement phase, several weeks before the move-in date. Having the ability to observe work progress and keep track of the gym’s equipment improved Nina’s and Mirco’s ability to coordinate the opening of the new facility. If a piece of equipment or tool went missing, for example, it was found within minutes. All Nina needed to do was reach for her iPhone and do a quick activity-based search to identify exactly when the object moved.
“Accessing everything on mobile devices has been very easy for us.”
– Mirco Horst, Palo Alto Fit Co-Owner
With multiple cameras now installed, the Palo Alto Fit management team is able to access their video data any time, on any device, via a secure UI. Impact to their local area networks has been minimal — each camera operates on average at around 20 kbit/s, leaving plenty of bandwidth for their other connections.
Finally, Nina and Mirco are able to manage their business’ multiple locations all from a single account, and on any device, without any additional plug-ins or software required.
Palo Alto Fit is a beta customer for Verkada’s people-counting and advanced video analytics capabilities. The expect to install additional Verkada cameras as they expand to new locations in the future.