LAST REVISED: FEBRUARY 3, 2022
At Verkada, we take your privacy seriously. We are passionate about developing products that enhance the security and privacy of organizations and individuals. We believe that well-built, user-friendly systems make it easier to manage and secure physical environments in ways that respect the privacy of individuals while simultaneously keeping them safe.
Our Pledge on Privacy
Specifically, Verkada will:
- Be clear with individuals when collecting personal information via the site;
- Incorporate privacy-by-design principles into our development of the Products;
- Use industry-standard best practices and data security tools to keep your data safe and protect the Products from unauthorized access; and
- Provide customers and administrators with information to help them understand how their use of the Products may include the processing of personal information.
Verkada will not:
- Sell personal information to third parties;
- Use personal information for any purpose other than the one for which we originally collected it without first providing further information;
- Use or access customer data for any purpose other than developing, maintaining, enhancing the Products and providing them to the customer, and on occasion, where permissible, keeping you informed about further products and services; or
- Share customer data across different customer environments.
In addition to the details of the policy below, for more information about our Products, how they are designed and manufactured, how our system is performing in real time, and how we safeguard your information, please visit this link: https://www.verkada.com/trust/.
What Personal Information Does Verkada Collect And Why?
The Personal Information that we may collect about you broadly falls into the following categories:
Certain parts of our Site and/or Command may ask you to provide your contact details in order to register an account with us, to subscribe to marketing communications from us, and/or to submit enquiries to us.
We will also collect the following types of information and Personal Information directly from you through the Site, Command and our interactions with you:
- Your Command account authentication information (e.g., email, encrypted password);
- Personal Information contained in legal agreements (such as invoices and orders);
- Personal Information included in any job inquiry when you respond to a Verkada job listing, including by emailing us;
- Personal Information shared with Verkada as part of technical support services that we provide to customers, including account and - Product configuration information, usage data, and/or other similar information;
- Personal Information you provide to us in communications with us, during a phone call with a Verkada representative or via webinars and events.
We use this information to:
- Provide the Site, including its related offerings, services, and programs, and to improve the Site and Command by better understanding how users access and use the Site and Command and to customize their experience;
- Authenticate Command users;
- Process Product orders;
- Effectuate or enforce a transaction or agreement;
- Respond to requests or inquiries including for customer service or job listings;
- Provide technical support and troubleshooting for users of the Site and Command;
- From time-to-time to send you send you information that we believe may be of interest to you, including news and offers about our products and services or those of our chosen partners, where permissible to do so under data protection law. Examples can include our blog, newsletter, and co-marketing efforts with our reseller partners.
For more information about Command, please visit this link: https://www.verkada.com/command/
When you interact with the Site and Command, we strive to make your experience easy and meaningful. Our Site and Command use technology, or those of third-party service providers, such as cookies, web beacons (clear GIFs) and similar technologies to track user activity and collect site data including analytics information about your use of and activity of the Site or within Command (i.e., automatically collected through the Site, such as the website from which visitors came, Site visitors' IP address, browser type and other information relating to the device through which they access the Site or Command). We may combine this data with the Personal Information we have collected from you.
As noted, we may also engage third parties to track and analyze Site and Command activity on our behalf. To do so, these third parties may place cookies or web beacons to track user activity on our Site and within Command. We use the data collected by such third parties to administer and improve the quality of the Site including Command, analyze usage of the Site and Command, and provide a more enhanced user experience on the Site and Command, such as personalizing and delivering relevant offers and content based on user activity on the Site and Command. We do not provide these third parties with your Personal Information.
Some information is processed and stored directly on the hardware Product. However, we collect the following types of Personal Information from and through certain of the Products as part of their routine functioning and/or in connection with enhanced features enabled by the customer:
- Video, images, and audio recordings;
- “People Analytics” information which includes the facial features and physical attributes of people that appear in video footage captured by a Verkada camera Product. Our Product features (e.g., People History, Person Attributes, and Face Detection) allow customers to gather, search, and organize People Analytics information.
For more information about how to use People Analytics, please visit: https://help.verkada.com/en/articles/3207895-people-analytics
- Data about individuals using the access control devices (e.g. profile image, start/end date, badge ID, employee ID, etc.), associated access group(s), access level(s), and historical event information; and
- Door usage data, including list of door events and entry/exit actions by individual user.
For more information about Access Control, please click this link: https://www.verkada.com/docs/Verkada_Access_Control_Datasheet.pdf
We use information collected from the Products to:
- Authenticate users;
- Provide the Products to customers and to improve them;
- Send customer alerts (e.g., motion notifications, tamper alerts, etc.) generated by your Products;
- Respond to customer requests or inquiries, and for similar, customer service-related purposes;
For more information about our Products from our Knowledgebase, please visit this link: https://help.verkada.com/
From time to time, we may obtain Personal Information about you from third party sources, including publicly available sources such as professional contact pages of company websites.
We may also receive Personal Information about you from companies who provide us with marketing services, but only where these third parties either have your consent or are otherwise legally permitted to disclose your Personal Information to us.
The types of information we collect from other sources include your professional contact information (such as name, office address, work email address, work phone number).
We use this information to send you material that we believe may be of interest to you, including news and offers about our products and services, where permissible to do so under data protection law.
Our legal basis for collecting and using the Personal Information described above will depend on the Personal Information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it.
However, we will normally collect Personal Information from you only where we have your consent to do so, where we need the Personal Information to perform a contract with you, or where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect Personal Information from you or may otherwise need the Personal Information to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
If we ask you to provide Personal Information to comply with a legal requirement or to perform a contract with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your Personal Information is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your Personal Information).
Similarly, if we collect and use your Personal Information in reliance on our legitimate interests (or those of any third party), we will make clear to you at the relevant time what those legitimate interests are.
If you have questions about or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your Personal Information, please contact us using the contact details provided under the “How to Contact Us” heading below.
We may disclose your Personal Information as follows:
- In connection with the process of fulfilling orders, providing, or performing functions on our behalf (e.g., such as third-party service providers, contractors, payment processors, banks, and collection agencies);
- To provide our Products and services;
- To service providers to provide you, on our behalf, information relating to our Products or services that we believe you may find of interest;
- To any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court or other third party in response to a subpoena or where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights, or (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person;
- To any other person with your consent to the disclosure.
You have the following data protection rights (depending on the context in which we process your information):
- Access: You have the right to ask us for copies of your Personal Information. There are some exemptions, which means you may not always receive all the information we process. If you use Command, you can access your Personal Information through your Command account. For other access requests, please contact us at [email protected].
- Erasure: You have the right to ask us to erase your Personal Information in certain circumstances. You can delete your Personal Information:
- : Please contact Verkada Support at [email protected] if you have questions regarding how to delete your account or information associated with it. If you choose to delete your Organization within Command, then all the data associated with your organization’s Verkada account is likewise deleted, including any stored image thumbnails or archived video footage. You can access, amend, or delete your information, including Personal Information, through your Command account. We may retain certain data for a longer period of time if we are required to do so for legal reasons. Refer to each Product’s specific website for more information about device specific retention and deletion periods.
- : Customers can delete all information stored on a hardware Product by means of functionality within the Command interface. If you are an individual whose information may have been collected by the Products in use by one of our customers, please contact the operator of the Verkada system to request deletion of such Personal Information.
- Rectification: You have the right to ask us to rectify information you think is inaccurate and to complete information you think is incomplete. If you use Command, you can amend your Personal Information held on Command, through your Command account. For other rectification requests, please contact us at [email protected].
- Object/Restrict Processing / Request Portability: In certain circumstances, you can object to processing of your Personal Information, ask us to restrict processing of your Personal Information or request portability of your Personal Information. To make such a request, you can contact us at [email protected].
- Withdraw Your Consent: Similarly, if we have collected and process your Personal Information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time by emailing [email protected]. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- Complain to a DPA: You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your Personal Information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
If you are a resident of California and interact with us as a consumer, you have certain rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act or “CCPA” (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.100 et seq.), including to request access to and deletion of your Personal Information. You may exercise these rights as explained above with respect to EEA and UK residents, or by contacting us at [email protected]. We do not sell your Personal Information, but we may allow our advertising partners to collect certain device identifiers and electronic network activity to show ads that are targeted to your interests. To opt out of having your Personal Information used for targeted advertising purposes, [please visit www.aboutads.info/choices.]
Our Site uses third party advertisement platform providers and their free conversion tracking features on certain pages. If you visit our Site, the destination page may have code on it that will help us understand the path you took to arrive on that page.
Your Personal Information may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are resident. These countries may have data protection laws that are different to the laws of your country (and, in some cases, may not be as protective). The Site and Command are primarily hosted in the United States, and customers have the option of storing video, image, and audio data in datacenters throughout the world (currently the United States, Canada, the European Union, and Australia).
We retain Personal Information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements). Please refer to each Product’s datasheet (available at www.docs.verkada.com) specific website for more information about device specific retention and deletion periods.
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your Personal Information, we will either delete or anonymize it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your Personal Information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
The Site and Products are not directed to individuals under the age of 18 and we do not knowingly collect information from anyone under 18. If you become aware that a child has provided us with personal information, please contact us at [email protected]. If we become aware that a child under 18 has provided us with personal information, we will take steps to delete such information as soon as possible.
As a result, we encourage your questions and comments about any privacy concerns. Please direct any privacy related questions or comments to [email protected].